We are quickly wrapped up in the coziness of the season when it comes to fall. Often we forget there are things we should be taking care of before the winter, snow & EXTREME laziness hit!
You might want to sit on your couch with your new wool blanket & cup of tea. But you’ll thank me when you can rest peacefully during a snow storm knowing your “to do’s” are done.
Not everything on this list will apply to everyone. It might remind you to remind a friend or family member though!
Equipment To Think About
- have your heating system serviced
- change filter & pads in your furnace, humidifier
- clean your dryer vents
Other Indoor Items
- check weatherproofing on windows & doors
- check your smoke & CO detectors – change batteries if needed
Gutters, Roof & Chimney
- check gutters (might need to do this one a few times as the leaves keep falling)
- make sure your roof will hold up with the snow until Spring (if it’s an older roof)
- have your chimney cleaned for all those cozy nights in by the fire
- close down the BBQ
- close down the pool
- clean & store outdoor furniture
- clean gardening tools & maintenance items like the lawnmower
- remove garden hoses
- check your deck for repairs
- freeze proof exterior faucets
- check operation of garage door
- remove items like paint that can freeze if left in the garage
- replace burnt bulbs to avoid having to in the dead of winter
- bring in plants that won’t last the winter months
- put up Christmas lights before the cold hits!
- make sure you have a shovel, snow melt & salt
Make sure you take some time to relax after you’ve completed everything! This list is far from all encompassing, but will hopefully be a starting point for your fall cleanup & preparation. I’d love to hear your additions in the comments!
Lara Stasiw • Real Estate Agent & Home Design Connoisseur
You made it to the end! THANK YOU!!
If you’re not exceptionally bored by my run-on sentences & bad humour, keep reading!
My other blogs cover topics on Real Estate, Home Design & Decor, & the Community.
For updates on new Blogs, Home Improvement Tips, A Community Spotlight & Real Estate FAQ’s, sign up for my Newsletter! I only send it out once a month.
(Naturally, there’s a market update too!)